Sunday, August 3, 2008

Green Lantern (co-starring Green Arrow) #110

You know the mantra that's been floating around within the comics community for some time: "Comics aren't just for kids anymore."

Well this comic is for kids, and when I found it at the local used bookstore for 60 cents, my fifth grade butt couldn't have been happier to find this issue. I remember when I first looked through the book and I realized it was from 1978, at the time, this was the oldest comic that I owned and I felt like it was 100 years old in 1992. I treasured it like it was Action Comics #1 even though I read it and re-read it a bunch (as you can tell by the wear and tear). Now to explain a few of the elements that really appealed to me as a youngster...

GL and GA were having female troubles so they decided to handle things in the best way they could think to: they flew into outer space to pout and whine. There was a panel where they fly by GL's mack truck parked just out of the atmosphere, GA comments that it was a good idea to park the car in space to avoid any parking fee's. GA had a few silly quips throughout the issue, it made him very likable to kids.

Anyhow, while the boys in green are cruising the stars a weird phenomenon occurs:
After the weird figure materialized and de-materialized it somehow knocked a "satellite with a nuclear power plant" out of orbit, heading for Columbus Ohio. Green Lantern handles the situation with finesse by bouncing it out of harms way using a green energy tennis racket. How could a 10 year old not be a comics fan with set-ups like this?
So they go to explore the tear in the space-time continuum. They make their way to a dimension that is very similar to the wild west. As you can guess the green guys met with some resistance. I was very confused by the following panel. Where did all those arms come from all of the sudden?
GL eases into his role as the towns do-gooder and ends up looking the part. I thought this part was so cool. Green Lantern was a badass cowboy! This issue can't be very expensive so I will let you see the final showdown on your own. I bet you can guess the ending without seeing it though.

There was also a pretty striking looking Golden Age Green Lantern story in the back as a bonus feature. To this day I still have not read it, but I lifted a few panels from it for my own use on a home-made comic I put together at age 10 or 11. I really liked the colors on the golden age GL better than the classic silver age character.
Ed Piskor, Cartoonist

No comments: